
A series of cases where Westerners (mainly white people) have been accused of stealing other people’s cultures, leads Adam Gopnik to wonder what wrong has been committed.
You may have heard of the current kerfuffle here in America about the sin of what is being called “cultural appropriation”. Some students at Bowdoin, a small liberal arts college in chilly Maine, were punished recently for wearing Mexican sombreros at a Mexican theme party. They had appropriated Mexican culture as a white person’s prerogative.
Then, at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, the practice of trying on a kimono for a selfie in front of a Monet painting of a French woman wearing a kimono was declared verboten for Boston, so to speak. It was a form of cultural appropriation of what belongs to Japan, while a production of Gilbert and Sullivan’s “Mikado” was closed down for the same reason. It showed only a racist stereotype of Japan, as imperially imagined by Victorians. There have been more incidents, many at liberal arts colleges, involving Chinese food and the art form we wrongly call “belly dancing” and even the hugely popular practice of yoga. They belong to Others, and we cannot have them, or take them, for ourselves.
Image copyright Alamy
Image caption La Japonaise by Claude Monet
Now, I am not about to launch into a tirade against the “politically correct”. I am old enough to recall that political correctness actually began as a term of self-mockery used by the hyper-sensitive, ruefully, against themselves, lightly guying their own good efforts at eliminating the casual sadism of daily interactions. “I guess I’m just being a little politically correct here, but…” someone almost always a woman) would say in the 1980s, and then point out an instance of unconscious sexism somewhere in the room. And in truth, “politically correct” is almost always these days synonymous with “sensitively courteous”. We know this because when someone says “I am not going to be politically correct!”, what he – and it is always a he – really means is, “I am not going to be sensitively courteous to anyone’s feelings except my own and that of my gang!” We have a demonstration of this principle every night on our screens over here these days, and it is a nightmare.
Image copyright AP
Image caption Protesters at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts
Nonetheless, I would be lying if I did not say that the practice we call PC has its absurd aspects. It is funny because it puts more weight on the words we use than the actions we take, always a mistake. My son’s dormitory at his liberal arts college has a live-in resident of deliberately indeterminate gender who wants to be referred to neither as “he” nor “she” – they are imprisoning patriarchal categories – nor as “it “(that would be an objectifying put-down) but as “they” and ” them”. This is at least convivial. When he – no, she – no, they – are there, it’s always a party.
Resource from :http://www.bbc.com
0 comments:
Post a Comment